Monday, October 23, 2006

potable water

I feel like posting and the most exciting thing that happened to me today is that I forgot to bring my purse to school I was so brain dead this morning. Therefore, I will return to my trip. Plus, its freezing cold here and I'd rather think about summer.

So, we were waiting out a rain storm in a visitors center in the Tetons. We had seen just about everything we wanted to see and so we decided to head to a campground in the National Forest on the eastern border of the National Park. We knew we had a long day of driving ahead of us to get across Wyoming to Devil's Tower, so why not get a jump on things. We headed to the "Hatchet" campsite in the National Forest. Upon arrival, Kate got out to read the literature, find out the procedure, etc, while I stayed in the car and observed our surroundings. There was NO ONE else there. The place was totally deserted except for an abundance of biting bugs. Two girls alone in Wyoming, lots of bugs, no one else around... we decided to keep driving.

On the way to wherever it was we were going, we passed a black bear cub frolicing through a field. After we'd passed it going east, Kate made me turn around to see if we could catch another glimpse of it. Sadly, we did not see it on either pass.

As it neared dusk, we reached another campground in Shosone National Forest. Upon inspection, this campground had a campground host and other campers, not to mention a waterfall. So we set up camp in view of an RV and went to look for water. There were spigots and pumps galore, but none of them were functioning. Mildly problematic as we had not bothered to fill out water jugs, water having been in abundance everywhere for the last week. A kind older couple in an RV offered to share theirs with us if need be. So, it was pork and beans for dinner again to conserve water.

Reading the signage more closely, we realized it was a campground without potable water. But why tease us with the pumps?!?!

We took a walk in the dark to the waterfall. I was, again, terrified of bears, as we were in The Middle of Nowhere, Bear Country. With only a pit toilet and limited water, it was not like we had washed our dishes all that well either.

Thankfully, we made it through the night without being mauled by bears and awoke to beautiful scenery in the middle of Wyoming. And of course, our first stop was the closest gas station to properly brush our teeth and refill the water bottles. Who knew how gorgeous Wyoming is? Who knew that road construction in Wyoming is worse than in Atlanta? In Wyoming, they tear up the ENTIRE interstate in order to repave. Gravel I-90?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home