Sunday, October 01, 2006

picture pages

Last night, Laura said that she needed some "adult conversation." After processing through this for a moment, we realized that actually, we needed some time to NOT have to act like adults. I spend 60+ hours a week being an adult, I need some time to cut loose. Hence the Nickelodeon title allusion. So to finish up posting about this trip that I returned from 2 months ago, I'm just gonna post some pictures and comment on them. Hopefully, it will suffice. I believe we had made it as far as Idaho...














We spent the next day driving through Montana, making brief stops in Butte (which I like to call "butt") and Bozeman. We hit the mineral museum of Montana at Montana Tech in Butte. Really we went there only because I was driving Kate's stick shift and am incompetent, so kept driving to the top of the hill, arriving at the museum. In Bozeman, we stopped at the Bean and Leaf Cafe, which Erin's friend Kate from UNC owns and had a lovely cup o' joe. Kate wouldn't let us take her picture.














A few hours later, we drove in to Yellowstone at the Roosevelt Arch. They told us it would take an hour or so to drive to our campsite. It took us about four. We stopped to see everything along the way. These are the first mineral hot something or others we saw.




























This valley is renowned for the amount of wildlife you can see. Of course, I am stupid and did not bring my binoculars with me. A kind soul did take pity on us though and we were able to see a couple of grizzly bears and a grey wolf.














The sunset that night was beautiful, but we quickly forgot about it because we were stampeded by bison. For real, stampeded. We were driving down the road and people were stopped in both directions. We had not yet learned that random stoppings in the road means wildlife to be seen. So we stop too, the first in line headed the way we were going. And we see bison, grazing on the side of the road. And then, the bison start running straight at us. Of course, I screamed. And then they stopped running and we were safe.



















We also stopped to view another of the remnants of the dormant volcano that Yellowstone sits atop of... Boiling sulfur springs. Really cool to look at. Really nasty to smell.
That's all for now. Day 2 in Yellowstone is up next.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home